[vlc-devel] Re: channel reordering patch for portaudio

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Nov 12 09:01:21 CET 2004

> 2. By the way, one question : don't you think by default
> the portaudio module should try to use the "best" config
> (for example 5.1 if there are 6 channels available), rather
> than defaulting to stereo mode ?
Lots and lots of users have requested that this becomes confgiureable.
Nearly every modern soundcard has 5.1 support or more, but most computers
still only have stereo speakers, so defaulting to 5.1 is definitly bad.
Other people do have all speakers connected, and then defaulting to stereo
is bad as well. I think with the directx aout that the default follow the
"speaker configuration" set in the windows control panel, but on other oses
there are no such this, and even with this control panel one could imagine
people having different preferences for video playback compared to general
pc-usage.

All in all I think this is more than enough reasons to create such a
preferences setting.

Sigmund

P.S This is not a request for the patch author to implement this, just
raising the general discussion.