[vlc-devel] Re: Initial rtci interface

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 16:25:18 CET 2004

Good question.  I'm suggesting this because none of the control interfaces
presently available (that I saw) does what I need.
--Computer-communication oriented.
--Able to be understood by a human being, tested/debugged/used, without
overly exotic overall structures.  In other words, if the message payload
becomes too complex, not able to be generated by a human being, we still end
up with an i-need-something-useable-by-a-person.  At times a normal person
needs to be able to do things, wants to be able to, say, adjust a marquee,
insert a logo -- don't want to force them to write a complex program to do
this, if it's something that could/should be doable over a vanilla socket
console window.
--Reasonably "lean" -- don't want to have as many bytes of object wrapper as
the control message payload.

I'm not a software person (as you are all more than well aware :), but a
systems person.  I see our staff spend a LOT of time when they get into
XML/wrapper coding.  The simpler interfaces, the kinds of things that really
can be operated by a human at a console, tend to be less problematic.

It is an excellent question, though, just that if there was a Corba update I
would still need/want something useable without big wrappers.