[vlc-devel] Re: mpga initialization patch

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Sun Nov 14 18:14:36 CET 2004

On Sunday 14 November 2004 19:01, Markus Kern wrote:

> On Sunday, November 14, 2004, 5:41:30 PM Gildas Bazin <gbazin at altern.org>
wrote:

> > On Sunday 14 November 2004 18:26, Markus Kern wrote:
> >>
> >> Ah ok, that's bad. Would it be possible to call the packetizer once in
> >> Open to get the information and then rewind everything?
> >>

> > You could do that. You wouldn't even have to "rewind" anything.
>
> I'll give that a try. I suppose you don't want a patch of such a hack?
>
> > But I don't really see the point in doing this. Why do you want the
> > "audio-es" variable to be updated before the playback begins ?
>
> I have a small wrapper around libVLC which I use in my application. It
> raises a callback to the application when the playback state changes.
> I have some vaguely defined 'open' state which is supposed to be set
> once a file/stream/etc has been opened and is ready to be played.
> However since a lot of the initializing happens asynchronously in
> separate threads after the input state has been changed to PLAYING_S
> it's all a bit hackish.
>
> The specific reason I want to use "audio-es" is that I want to make
> decisions based on whether the input has audio and/or video. I'd like
> to add goom if there is only audio and no video stream for example.

It is indeed a very hackish way to do it, mainly because some containers
allow new elementary streams to be defined at any point in the stream so
you can't know for sure if a video elementary stream isn't going to start
later on.

I guess we could at least add some demuxer capabilities which indicate when
a demuxer will only declare an audio elementary stream (raw mpeg audio,
aac, wav, etc...)

--
Gildas