[vlc-devel] Re: stdout in cygwin

Chris Douty Chris_Douty at ampex.com
Sat Oct 2 01:49:03 CEST 2004

On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 05:26 AM, Gildas Bazin wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 September 2004 16:11, Tomas Mortensen wrote:
>>
>> I don't know how to do this when started from a normal dos window
>> (cmd).
> But
>> when started from Cygwin, it is as simple as omitting the calls to
>> ShowConsole in libvlc.c. I inserted "if (getenv("PWD") &&
>> getenv("PS1"))
>> return;" as the first line in ShowConsole, and now everything works
>> as I
>> hoped for. I _think_ the PS1 and PWD are quite unusual variables in
> Windows
>> environments and standard in Cygwin.
>>

> This indeed sounds reasonable. I just applied it to the developement
> version
> of VLC.

Ack!

PS1 is a Bourne shell-ism.  I think that bash is the standard in
Cygwin, but are there any csh family shells?

Maybe checking for "OSTYPE=cygwin" ?  Hmm.  That is probably set by the
shell too.

Never mind.  Anyone using a csh derivative in cygwin will just get the
old behavior.  You ought to make a note of it in the documentation
somewhere though.  Would this work in MSYS?  I'll let you know I guess.

Cheers,
	Chris

--
Christopher Douty <Chris_Douty at ampexdata.com> +1-650-367-3129
Senior Engineer, Software & Systems  - AMPEX Data Systems Corp.