[vlc-devel] Re: Multicast udp streaming from playlist - problems

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Fri Oct 15 15:02:47 CEST 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:24:57 +0200, Derk-Jan Hartman
<hartman at videolan.org> wrote:
> 13:33 < gibalou> hmmm DstreamThread as a VLC_THREAD_PRIORITY_INPUT
> priority so this looks alright
> 13:34 < thedj> i don't reallyl remember.. did this work for him on
> mplayer?

4MB/s RTSP/UDP video-on-demand was working relatively well with mplayer.

10MB/s UDP multicast TV was not working well at all with the mplayer
ts demuxer. After trying for a couple of weeks to stabilise it I changed
to using vlc.

> 13:39 < gibalou> thedj: would be worth asking Dermot to increase the max
> size of the buffer in demux.c line 325
> 13:40 < gibalou> something like * 10
>
> So could you try to do that..? increase the buffer at that line? (that's
> for 0.8.0 btw)
> It kinda looks like the server is sending the whole file at once or
> something.. a bit weird. It shouldn't do that...

Increased the buffer size in stream_DemuxSend from 5000000 to 50000000
(*10)
and there is not change in behaviour. The buffer still fills too quickly,
just to a higher maximum now and of course it takes longer to fill. There
are still DStreamRead's of 188 bytes (ts packet size) interspersed.
Sometimes
a video window (black screen) is displayed, more often not even that. I
don't
understand what calls DStreamRead (the decoder?). Would there be a way to
heighten the decoders priority?

A summary of the last few days testing (I also have many logs, but don't
want to spam you with them. I can check them for whatever you might
suggest).

			0.7.2 Bond				0.8.0-test2 Janus
  			----------				-----------------

TV/udp/mcast	Fine					Audio only & black screen video
								Exits when the window title bar is grabbed
								Close window button on vlc window not working

VOD			Plays but very jerky.		stream_DemuxSend reallocs
			Sometimes doesn't play,
    			reallocs instead.

So, at the moment, if the jerkiness on rtsp could be fixed in 0.7.2 I would
have a functional player for those two types of network streams.

At the moment, 0.8.0 isn't working well with either type of network stream.

Have a look at attachments tv_1510.log and tv_trunk_1510.log, which show a
Gdk error which stops udp multicast working with 0.8.0-test2

vod_stable_1510.log shows the errors messages which are concurrent with the
jerky video on rtsp/udp playback with 0.7.0

What next?

Dermot.