[vlc-devel] Re: recent resamplling changes

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Mon Oct 25 09:05:33 CEST 2004

On Sunday 24 October 2004 23:33, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
> The recent changes to resampling are turning out to have some serious
> downsides. Especially mms, shoutcast and aacplus http streams seem to
> have serious audio drift and later on PTS out of range issues.
> Sometimes it catches up, sometimes not.
>
> http://somafm.com/aac/
>
> I suggest to go somewhere between the test1 and svn treshold of the
> resampling, because this is a bit over the top.

The problem with the aac stream isn't related to resampling.

The problem happened just after the change that considered shoutcast streams
as non-pace controlable (which should be the case as these streams are live
streams).
However shoutcast servers don't seem to really send the stream in real-time
(at least not at the beginning). They seem to be caching about 5 seconds of
audio before starting streaming and will send these 5 seconds as fast as
the client can read them and only when the buffer is empty they'll send the
data at real-time rate.

This does screw up the clock adjustment algo in VLC quite badly.
So if anybody has a solution for this, I'm a taker (not involving rewriting
the whole clock algo just before the 0.8.0 release of course ;).

--
Gildas