[vlc-devel] Re: [RFC] Preferences system

Clément Stenac zorglub at via.ecp.fr
Tue Sep 28 08:09:45 CEST 2004

> This is very much along the lines of what i was thinking.

Well this was based on our common thinking but I am a bastard and I
forgot to credit you, sorry for that.

> Something centralized might be a good idea yes. So we can keep an
> overview as well.

I agree. This guarantees that the number of categories remains
controlled and helps string reviews.

> How do you visually represent this? Will you throw all the "audio
> filter" options in one dialog? How will users then see what is related
> to what? for instance i'm thinking about all the video overlay plugins
> we have now with all their positioning information...
>
> Perhaps we should add something like a separator or a title line when
> we switch from options of one plugin to visually separate and order
> stuff.

Actually, I did not think of having all audio filters in one page.

I tought of keeping the current global layout (a tree + a page).

On the "audio filter" page, we would have the list of audio filters that
we can check to enable them.

This audio filter page would have children nodes : the audio filter's
pages.

I think having everything on one page would be a real mess.

The concern that can appear with having one page for each filter is that
you need many clicks to reach your option ("Audio" -> "Audio filters" ->
"yourfilter" )... But at the moment, we already need 3 clicks.

Or maybe I simply did not understand your concern :)

--
Zorglub
Clément Stenac