[vlc-devel] Re: SVG rendering module - advice wanted

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Sat Apr 2 01:01:54 CEST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 04:09:20PM +0200, Olivier Aubert wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have updated the SVG rendering module (which uses the text renderer
> API) to match the recent changes in the API. It works alright, except
> for two points :
I still fail to see why you want to use the text renderer api. Do you expect
printf() to render svg?

> - colors are not handled properly, only the Y value seems to be taken
> into account (only greyscale rendering). It must be some mistake in my
> RGBA->YUVA rendering code, but I am no expert, and it is just an
> adaptation of the code I wrote for 0.7.2, which worked alright.
Vlc's YUVA format uses equal resolution for all planes. You seem to
subsample the U and V planes.

> - all subtitles seem to be now rendered with the b_ephemeral attribute
> set (i.e. the new subtitle will replace the current one, not overwrite
> it). I would like to have the old behaviour, where multiple subtitles
> can be displayed concurrently on the video. Apart from creating as many
> channels as subtitles, what is the proper way of doing this ?
The subtitle timing properties are desided by whoever adds the subtitle to
the subtitle core. This means that the text renderer module cares nothing
about the subtitle timing. I don't know any part of the code that adds svg
subpictures, so I can't help proofread this part of the code.

Sigmund

P.S: I have an idea for a better interface, that will flexibly allow both
svg and text (and possibly others), but I'm too tired to explain now. Maybe
another day.

> Thanks for any hint.
>
> Olivier
>
> --