[vlc-devel] Re: libdts (was Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Patent Infrigument)

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sat Apr 9 15:58:13 CEST 2005

On Apr 9, 2005, at 1:07 PM, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 10:52:37AM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
>> I already offered to host libdts on the SUUG (www.suug.ch) server
>> a while back. Though our (ie, Sam Hocevar, Thomas Graf and me)
>> discussion ended with the agreement that we leave it for the
>> moment to not further upset DTS to keep the door open for an
>> amicable solution between DTS and ECP.
>>
>> If you want we can host libdts on our server including svn and
>> mailinglists. It all depends on you.
>>

> How long ago was this?  If negotiations between DTS and ECP haven't
> made
> any progress I suggest you to seriously consider taking up Attila's
> offer.  DTS decoding capabilities are important for free software and
> giving in to patent threats does not help the community.

I second this. ECP: either DO something, or discontinue it as a
VideoLAN project and move it somewhere out of EU jurisdiction.
Than "rogue" developers can continue development and distribution of
the code.

I guess we still won't be able to include libdca in VLC builds, but
at least something is happening and we are sticking it to the MAN. :D

DJ