[vlc-devel] VLC and PSIP

jmzorko at mac.com jmzorko at mac.com
Wed Apr 13 02:41:56 CEST 2005

Hello, all ...

It's been awhile since i've worked with VideoLAN, but i'm back :-)
I've a question -- a quick grep through the VLC source reveals that
"PSIP" is nowhere to be found.  I want to use VLC to transcode a
3-4mb/s MPEG2 PS into a 19.39mb/s ATSC MPEG2 TS, with the necessary
PSIP inserted.  When I was working with the VLC source before, it was
mostly in the control functions and input thread; now I find myself
needing to learn more about how VLC does the PS -> TS conversion,
transcoding and inserting the necessary # of TS NULL packets when
transcoding to higher bitrates.  If VLC currently doesn't do PSIP,
perhaps I can add it and contribute it back (or at least contribute
back how I did it, and let the VLC maintainers look it over).

Can anyone give me a very quick pointer e.g. which source modules I
should start looking at?

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New album, "Touch", available now
http://www.magnatune.com/artists/falling_you