[vlc-devel] New python module proposal

Olivier Aubert oaubert at bat710.univ-lyon1.fr
Thu Apr 14 16:28:23 CEST 2005

Hello happy VLC developers.

I would like to propose a new python-vlc module for integration into the
VLC distribution. We have been using it for a few months now in the
Advene project, on Linux and Windows platforms. It still suffers some
glitches (especially some instabilities seemingly related to threads on
Windows, experienced advice is welcome), but we hope to have them sorted
out sometime soon, and it is otherwise reliable.

I do not know if the current python module (vlc/python directory) is
still used by anyone (it has not been updated in a while), so it could
replace it, or be put in another directory in order to preserve
compatibility with older applications.

The module we propose implements the same API as the already integrated
CORBA module. For this, a C library (files mediacontrol-core.[ch],
mediacontrol-init.c, mediacontrol-plugin.c) has been written, matching
the MediaControl.idl API. The CORBA and python code only have to provide
the glue to the underlying interfacing mechanisms. It could be also used
as a base for other bindings, and we are open to any suggestions about
the API design.

Ideally, the C library files should be put in a central place
(vlc/src/mediacontrol ?), so that they easily can be referenced by both
the CORBA plugin and the python module.

The source code is available from
http://liris.cnrs.fr/advene/download/python-vlc-0.8.1-2.tar.gz
and an example interaction session is presented at
http://liris.cnrs.fr/advene/download/index_en.html

What are your though on this ?

Olivier