[vlc-devel] various problems with skins 2: visualisation, crashes, background

Dennis van Amerongen Dennis.vanAmerongen at nob.nl
Fri Apr 15 18:57:14 CEST 2005

Hiya,

I've compiled a list of some problems I encountered with regards to the
skins 2 interface. These were all tested against svn-20050414 and are
all 100% reproducable on my system (Win XP SP2)

If anyone would be able to fix them, that would make the skins usage
much much more attractive :)

1) Background doesn't update after changing skins and
maximizing/minimizing

File, Quick Open File, "filename.mpg", Settings, Change interface, Skins
2
Doubleclick video window (maximize), Doubleclick video window (normal)

Problem: background/desktop isn't updated, you need to "move" your
cursor
over sections in order for them to "refresh"

Workaround: first change to Skins 2
Settings, Change interface, Skins 2, File, Quick Open File, etc.

2) Extra window

Settings, Change interface, Skins 2, Select skin, itunes
File, Quick Open File, "filename.mpg"
select skin, itunes

Problem: an extra window is spawned outside the embedded/expected one

This is assumed to be normal behaviour?

3) visualisation only partially fills screen

Settings, Change interface, Skins 2, Select skin, itunes
Open, Quick Open File, "filename.mpg"
Visualisation, Goom

Doubleclick video window (maximize)

Problem: you briefly see one video frame?

Visualisation, Random/Scope/Spectrum

Problem: the visualisation only fills the middle of the screen, on the
upper/lower part you can still see video

Workaround: doubleclick video window (maximize), doubleclick video
(normal)

4) visualisation becomes extra window

Settings, Change interface, Skins 2, Select skin, solar/default
Open, Quick Open File, "filename.mpg"
Visualisation, Goom

Problem: spawns an extra video window instead of overlapping the actual
Problem2: closing the "visualisation" window also closes the actual
video window

5) VLC crash on changing skin and clicking play

File, Quick Open File, "filename.mpg", Stop
Settings, Change interface, Skins 2, Play

or

File, Quick Open File, "filename.mpg",
Settings, Change interface, Skins 2, close video window, Play

Problem: VLC crashes

Workaround: Settings, Change interface, Skins 2, File, Quick Open File,
"filename.mpg"

6) Settings, Change interface, Skins 2, Select skin, vplayer
Open, Quick Open File, "filename.mpg", Stop

Change interface, winamp5, Play

Problem:

[00000374] vout_directx private error: out of memory
[00000372] vout_directx video output error: overlay unuseable (might
already be in use)

Workaround: change to winamp5 skin first

7) Settings, Change interface, Skins 2, Select skin, winamp5
Open, Quick Open File, "filename.mpg"

Rightclick in the player window to open up the menu, do NOT click in the
menu,
instead move your mouse and close the winamp5 player (not the external
video)

Problem: the "menu" still appears "frozen" in windows

Next, close the video window itself

Problem: the log (extraintf logger) shows

[00000284] main input error: refcount is 1, I have a bad feeling about
this
[00000284] main input error: we waited too long, cancelling destruction

This doesn't happen in wxwindows

Similarly, when using vplayer the "external" skin of the player
disappears
but the "directx" video still plays. That is "unclosable" and you're
only
option is to "end task" all VLC instances from the Task Manager

Regards,