[vlc-devel] Re: Decoding H.264

Erik Hellerud erik-list at kladd.net
Mon Apr 18 14:31:05 CEST 2005

Sigmund Augdal wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 01:38:25PM +0200, Erik Hellerud wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to stream H.264 with VLC. When I have an entire frame in the
>>NAL unit everything works great, but when I try to divide each frame
>>into more NAL units decoding doesn't work. If I play it back locally
>>with VLC there's no problems, so I think it should work with streaming to.

>>Do I need to buffer up the NALU's and send it when I get all the units
>>which belongs to one frame?

> vlc assumes that live.com gathers an entire frame before returning any data,
> this is because this is the behaviour live.com is supposed to have according
> to live.coms documentations. There is a quick trick to make vlc insert a
> packetizer which should fix that, but assuming you have made changes to
> live.com these changes should be fixed to work the way other codecs work
> with live.com

Ok, with some help from sigmund I was able to insert a packetizer, and
I'm now able to stream h.264 if there is no packetloss.

With packetloss it crashes with an " Assertion `pic->data[0]' failed."
after a while. I've tried to add the BLOCK_FLAG_CORRUPTED to frames
where I detect packetloss (slices missing from the frame), but it
doesn't seem to work. Does this flag have any effect with h264? Or are
there some other things I could do to make the decoder tolerate packetloss?

Regards

Erik H