[vlc-devel] Re: Adding support for playing H.264 streams

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Mon Apr 25 20:43:47 CEST 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:28:14AM -0700, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> Erik Hellerud <erik-list at kladd.net> tells me that he has built a version of
> VLC that will play H.264 RTSP/RTP streams.  (This uses the recent version
> of the LIVE.COM library, which adds RTSP/RTP support for such streams.)
>
> Could a VLC expert please get together with Erik to integrate his
> modifications into the official VLC source code tree?
I've excanged some mails with him on the topic, and he seems reluctant to
release his changes, and I do not have the time to install something that
can stream h264 so I can test. How did the implementation of h264 in
live.com end up? I heard that it, unlike other codecs in live.com didn't
return complete frames, because live.com architecture had a hard time adding
bytes at the start of the frame. I feel it would clutter the livedotcom.cpp
file to add a special case for h264.

Btw, could you consider implementing non-blocking connects. Typing incorrect
urls, or losing network connection, cause for a horrible user experience, as
the program will stay totally unresponsive for the complete TCP syn timeout.

> It would be great if we could get a new VLC out with H.264 support before
> Apple releases its new QuickTime Player!
Vlc has had too many feature additions latly. We are trying to get out a
0.8.2-test1, but the progress is slow, and a final release 0.8.2 seems quite
a bit off.

> 	Ross.
>
> --

Sigmund Augdal