[vlc-devel] Re: compiling mozilla (firefox) plugin for VLC under win32 cygwin env

Aaron Lee waifunlee at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:01:29 CEST 2005

I finally got mozilla plugin working and built on cygwin Win32 platform.

Step 1:
download gecko for cygwin sdk and a few other libraries

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.7.6/gecko-sdk-i586-pc-cygwin-1.7.6.zip
and then
extract libIDL-0.6.dll from libIDL-0.6.3-win32-bin.zip and put it into
C:\gecko-sdk\bin
extract glib-1.2.dll from vc71-glib-1.2.10-bin.zip and put it into
C:\gecko-sdk\bin
The two DLLs can be downloaded from:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/libraries/win32/

Step 2:
Modify configure.ac to remove -lembedstring because we don't need it

Step 3.
The configure.ac has some hard wired path to XPIDL and XPIDL_INCL so I
instead modify the mozilla's Makefile for a one-time hack. I did try
export the two variables before running configure but didn't work.

XPIDL = /cygdrive/d/gecko-sdk/bin/xpidl.exe
XPIDL_INCL = -I"c:\gecko-sdk/idl"

Step 4.
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include -I/usr/win32/include/ebml
-I/cygdrive/d/gecko-sdk/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/win32/lib -L/cygdrive/d/gecko-sdk/lib"

Step 5.
Add --enable-mozilla --with-mozilla-sdk-path=/cygdrive/c/gecko-sdk to
your configure params.

-Aaron