[vlc-devel] Codec name or Codec fourcc

list at scttransport.dk list at scttransport.dk
Mon Aug 8 03:01:30 CEST 2005

Hello all

I would like to change the way information is presented to the user in,
mainly, the stream info dialog. Currently u see Codec: theo

Or Codec: mpgv etc, where the codec is listed as a fourcc code, meaningless
to the majority of users.

I'm currently making a little function to do fourcc -> full name lookups.

What I would like to change is that in the future people will see stuff like
this in the stream info dialog:

Codec: Windows Media Audio 9 Professional (WMAP)

instead of Codec: wmap

and

Codec: MPEG-4 Video (MP4V)

instead of Codec: mp4v

I would to hear if anybody has any protest against this?

This would also make the Codec name used in 1 or 2 muxers (only seen it in
asf) unnecessary.

Awaiting any comments

Cheers

Jonas Larsen