[vlc-devel] Re: firewire output

Vaclav Koldus vaclav.koldus at avpark.cz
Tue Aug 9 08:43:19 CEST 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:46:42 +0200, Benjamin Pracht
<bigben+spam at videolan.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 01, 2005, vaclav.koldus at avpark.cz wrote :
>> I've got some further questions about access_out modules.
>>
>> Sounds as good idea to use it for fw output, but:
>>
>> 1) How to use it? How can I make vlc use it? And how to do it to use
>> classic  video output and acces_out module additionaly? Please help.
>>

> I suggest you to have a look ath the streaming howto , on
> http://videolan.org/doc
>

>> 2) If I'm right, acces_out module is the same way how streaming is done.
>> But  from my earlier attempts I suppose, that the stream output doesn't
>> go
>> through video filter. I need to render some graphics (logo & more) and
>> then pass it out.
>>

> Since 0.8.0, you can render filters on videos while streaming.

Oh yes! Thanks for kicking me in the right direction! This sounds nice. I
have
only 2 questions.

1) This is streaming procedure, that means that encoded video is streamed
into
   acces module in the fastest possible speed. But I need to have frame
timing
   just like when playing file localy. Is it possible to set this up
somehow or
   have I to write the waiting for the right moment to send it into access
moddule?

2) Well, I can write codec module for DV, and acces module for Firewire,
but what
   about muxing? DV codec works differently. It encodes both video and
audio at
   the same time into one DV stream. Post multiplexing into a container is
possible,
   but this stream (AVIDV Type 2) is useless when I want to send it into
firewire.
   I need to encode only video and then send it to access module (and
firewire) as
   is without muxing. I've tried the "raw" multiplexer, but it seems to me
that it
   isn't just "raw".  Seems that it has it's header (always same) and maybe
both
   streams (a/v) are there. Is writing own mux module (that will throw
audio away
   and send really RAW stream) and plaing soud localy the only way how to
reach
   this??

Thanx a lot for your help.

V.K.