[vlc-devel] problems transcoding to mpeg

Marco Munderloh Marco.Munderloh at web.de
Sun Aug 21 16:57:41 CEST 2005

Hi,

there is a problem with the ffmpeg encoder (or it's control) in the
recent svn version of vlc, at least in the win32 version. The log
reports strange fps the encoder does not support. I attached a log where
I tried to transcode a MPG4 AVI to an MPEG2 TS Stream with the win32
version from http://vthr.via.ecp.fr - my own cygwin compile using the
contrib libraries (which are quite old) does the same so I guess not
ffmpeg is the problem. MPEG1 to MPEG2 transcode seems to work, though.

greetings,
  Marco

Message Log (Verbose=1):
[...]
stream_out_transcode debug: creating video transcoding from fcc=`mp4v'
to fcc=`mp2v'
main debug: looking for decoder module: 25 candidates
ffmpeg debug: libavcodec already initialized
ffmpeg debug: postprocessing disabled
ffmpeg debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-4 Video) started
main debug: using decoder module "ffmpeg"
main debug: looking for encoder module: 10 candidates
ffmpeg debug: libavcodec already initialized
ffmpeg debug: found encoder MPEG-2 Video
main debug: using encoder module "ffmpeg"
main debug: unlocking module "ffmpeg"
main debug: looking for encoder module: 10 candidates
ffmpeg debug: libavcodec already initialized
ffmpeg debug: removing common factors from framerate
 (mpeg2video at 04076B20)
ffmpeg warning: MPEG1/2 does not support 21845/911 fps
 (mpeg2video at 04076B20)
ffmpeg error: cannot open encoder
stream_out_transcode error: cannot find encoder
[...]