[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r12311 (sam)

C.Y.M cym at syphir.sytes.net
Mon Aug 22 13:11:01 CEST 2005

Sam Hocevar wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2005, C.Y.M wrote:
>

>>Please apply these additional changes to /trunk/debian/rules.  The first change
>>is required to generate the necessary header files for building VLC (else the
>>build will fail with missing src/misc/modules_builtin.h).
>

>    This is because the Makefile was somehow broken. I will wait until it
> is fixed, because I don't want to have to call toolbox from debian/rules.

ACK, its a temporary solution at best, but atleast now I can build it :)

>>The second change is required because GNOMEDIR does not exist in the
>>"debian/wxvlc" directory. Also, wxvlc has nothing to do with Gnome.
>>Both changes are necessary else the build will fail.
>

>    Are you sure of that? wxvlc.dirs has a line with GNOMEDIR. Can you
> check which directories are created by dh_installdirs in debian/wxvlc?

GNOMEDIR = usr/share/gnome/apps/Multimedia

Ok, you are right about GNOMEDIR getting created by dh_installdirs. Perhaps when
I checked out the trunk on that day, I didnt get all the changes (wxvlc.dirs)
because it did fail at one time.  But, on the other hand, Gnome should not be
tied in with wxvlc.  What if the user doesnt even have Gnome installed and wants
to use wxvlc with KDE or some other desktop?  /usr/share/applications seems like
the logical place.