[vlc-devel] libiconv problem on internationalized text

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Fri Aug 26 20:33:23 CEST 2005

Dear friends,

I have been reported a problem with charsets. It occurs when the
interface uses another charset than UTF-8, for instance the HTTP
interface with --http-charset=ISO-8859-1, and I believe text interfaces
such as rc are also in trouble if the local charset isn't UTF-8.

In our po files, written in UTF-8, the character for the single quote
isn't "'", but a Unicode quote â??. When asking for a conversion to
Latin-1, iconv fails and says there is no equivalent for the character.
Thus UTF-8 is output and it looks ugly.

We have several options :
 * Use "'" in all our po files
 * Use "'" for strings which may appear in the http and rc interfaces
 (beurk)
 * Fix the libiconv problem

Libiconv doesn't seem maintained and sam says that switching to
librecode would have many advantages, including fixing this. Any other
idea ?

--
Christophe Massiot.