[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r13605 (dionoea)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Wed Dec 7 13:28:33 CET 2005

Le Mercredi 7 Décembre 2005 12:34, Sigmund Augdal Helberg a écrit :
> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 11:04 +0100, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > Le Mercredi 7 Décembre 2005 00:58, Subversion daemon a écrit :
> > > r13605 | dionoea | 2005-12-07 00:58:31 +0100 (Wed, 07 Dec 2005) |
> > > 2 lines Changed paths:
> > >    D /trunk/share/http
> > >    A /trunk/share/http-old (from /trunk/share/http:13604)
> >
> > Is it THAT complicated to run "make distcheck" before commiting ???
>
> First of all, I didn't even know what make distcheck was

make distcheck :
- "make dist" locally to build a source tarball
- extracts that source tarball,
- configures, builds,
- installs the result in a tmp directory,
- builds a source tarball to make sure the first one is self-sufficient,
- performs a distclean,
- checks that distclean did not leave non-original any file.

That helps finding a lot of inconsistencies, most particularly
references to files that are not existing, or that are present in the
SVN trunk, but not included in source tarballs. It also ensures that
configure/build/install do not modify the source, and that distclean
really cleans.

It makes sense to run make distcheck at least every time one
adds/removes/moves a file in the source trunk. Also, any source release
should definitely and obviously pass distcheck.

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/