[vlc-devel] How do I generate vlc_symbols.h without building VLC?

Utku Altunkaya utku at citlembik.com.tr
Mon Feb 7 17:32:46 CET 2005

I am working on an access module for VLC. After adding the source file
for my plugin to /modules/access/, and modifying Modules.am and
configure.ac accordingly, I run bootstrap and configure.

At this point, if I try to build my module using "make
libaccess_mytest_plugin.dll" I get lots of warnings because some header
files (such as vlc_symbols.h) have not yet been generated. So I have to
run the top level make, but that starts building the whole project and I
hit Ctrl+C just after my plugin is built to stop the make process (I
already have the VLC binaries and don't want to rebuild it all).

I'd like to know if there is a make command to generate the missing
header files only, after which I can build any plugin I want
individually, without the need to build the whole project.

Thanks.

PS: I am doing the builds in Cygwin (installed as described in the
"Win32 Cygwin Environment" guide) and using the config script given in
INSTALL.win32.