[vlc-devel] Re: Jumpy streaming multicast UDP: Any help appriciated...

Marius Kjeldahl marius at kjeldahl.net
Tue Feb 8 08:48:03 CET 2005

Dave Harley wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm  streaming DVD using multicast UDP and its cloppy.  About ever 1/2
> second I loose a few frames.  The network is fine, the switch is a
> high end job and there is no packet loss, errors or collisions on
> either the rx or tx ports.  Below is a sample of the output from vlc
> with -vvv; can anyone shed any light on this or suggest anything to
> try?

I have the identical problem in my home office, and believe it to be the
  fault of the swich I am currently using (definitively not "high end").

Why do I believe this? When I "unicast" the stream over UDP (simply
sending the packets over UDP to just the one machine running the vlc
client) from the same server as the original multicast came from, it
runs just fine. Once I attempt to do the same using multicast, I loose a
lot of frames (most, actually, but enough get through to indicate it is
trying to listen to the stream).

I suggest you try the UDP unicast technique to absolutely rule out any
network problems. If your network has the right stuff to carry the UDP
unicast stream across, it should be able to carry a similar multicast
just fine, assuming your switches and similar support it.

Marius Kjeldahl