[vlc-devel] Re: patches

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Tue Feb 8 11:44:07 CET 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:50:05 +0900, Matthew Romaine
<Matthew.Romaine at jp.sony.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any word on the below?
> A simple status update/explanation as to why nobody's trickplay efforts
> are being integrated would be appreciated (I know I'm not the only one
> working on this ...)

Matt,

 From a very brief conversation about this on IRC a couple of weeks
ago: you had included some of my older Kasenna trickplay patch. I
was asked if that part was ready to be committed. It's not and I'm
not getting time to work on it. It could be another month or two
before I do. If you don't need those changes for your purposes I
would suggest dropping those from the patch.

The issue might be testability. If you could resubmit the minimum
amount of changes that support the functionality you want and if you
can outline a procedure to test them, that should move things along.

A few people are working on trickplay, but not in earnest and it
doesn't include the core developers. So, if we want them to accept
patches we need to give them a warm feeling that we actually know
what the changes are doing and also give them a method to verify
that, where that's possible.

Dermot.