[vlc-devel] Re: Suse rpm development

Jason Luka jason at geshp.com
Sat Jan 8 18:31:41 CET 2005

I've run the RPM build for RedHat/Fedora since 0.6.0, so I'm pretty good
help with RPM writing.  Typically, the spec files are put in the package
like so:
    vlc.spec.redhat
    vlc.spec.fedora
    vlc.spec.mdk
    vlc.spec.suse
I would copy the vlc.spec.suse to the SPECS directory and just build it
off of that, so each distribution has its own source RPM.  I watch when
the rpmbuild runs configure, so I know which libraries and headers it is
and is not putting in.  If it says it's missing a library, I normally
ask if it's needed.  Some of them are, some of them aren't, some of them
are optional, some will not even work in Linux altogether (i.e.
machos.h, carbon.h).  Just let me know.  I've trial-and-errored this far.

Jason Luka

PS I don't answer email at this address, use 'jluka' instead.