[vlc-devel] resolume -> vlc video pipe

Andrea Guzzo xant at xant.net
Mon Jan 17 07:41:58 CET 2005

Hi,

I've a friend who uses resolume massively for his exhibitions and he is looking for
a streaming solution that could let him send video sessions remotely. It would be very nice to use vlc for this purpose , allowing my friend to use the powerful transcoding options implemented in vlc and to create multiple chains with different encoding methods and outputs.
Resolume supports freeframe plugins, this makes very simple to access video frames generated with that software and redirect them somewhere else.....so I think that a possible solution is to write a freeframe plugin associated with a vlc access module (maybe they could be the same dll...but I'm not too familiar with windows programming and I'm not sure that this is possiblle) and they could use an internal communication channel to transfer frames from resolume to vlc.

What do you think about that? ... Is there any alternative, already implemented, to achive the same task? (I saw some freeframe plugins that implement streaming...but I don't like them...and i think that using vlc for streaming should be a much more powerful solution)

If you think that it is possible and, above all, useful  ... how do you think the communication channel should be implemented? ... I thought to use windows socket , but since I don't have enough experience in windows programming it might not be the right choice ...
in a unix environment I whould have used unix sockets (or pipes) or maybe IPC in case of performance problems...but I don't know if there is a better mechanism to be used on a windows system.

I would appreciate any comment or advice that can help me in achieving this task :P

bye ,
xant.