[vlc-devel] Re: [VLC] VLC with ffmpeg compile + YUV play

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Fri Jan 21 18:05:33 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005, Dusan Mudric wrote :
> > Well, for that, the best woulkd certainly be to have a look on one of
> > the pages linked here http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/, depending on
> > the destination architecture.
>
> [Dusan] Can you be more specific? We spent a lot of  time already on this page without success.

Well, what are you trying to do exactly ? Which OS ? What is the error
/ problem you are facing ?

> > Well, If the YUV track is encapsulated in a muxing format VLC support
> > (well, do we have support for a muxing format that allows raw video ?),
> > it should work... But I'm not aware of any way to have VLC read any raw
> > video stream (excepted the particular case of DV streams).
> >

> [Dusan] How do you test ffmpeg encoders if VLC doesn't run YUV?

Well, VLC does handle quite a lot of variants of the YUV chromas,
What I meant is that I'm not aware of any way to feed VLC with a raw
uncompressed YUV stream coming from a file. As I said, raw YUV streams
from capture cameras (Video4linux, Directshow, etc) are handled. Adding
support for raw YUV files shouldn't be to hard, I guess. It would be a
matter of creating a "raw" demux, that allows to specify the fourcc of
the given track, as well as the dimensions of the picture (That might
already exist without me being aware of it).

Transcoding is mostly used to change the codec/bitrate of a already
encoded stream on the fly, before re-streaming it. If your purpose is to
test the quality of the ffmpeg encoders, than VLC certainly isn't the
application you are looking for...

--
BigBen