[vlc-devel] Re: Help: Adding TV Tuner Support

Brian Wang brian.wang.0721 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 06:07:35 CEST 2005

On 7/1/05, Gildas Bazin <gbazin at altern.org> wrote:
[...snip...]

> If you want to implement a complex panel then you will indeed have to
> implement a separate dialog box in the wxwindows gui.
> However if you want to implement simple functionality like switching between
> predefined channels then you can use what we call vlc object variables and
> setup a multiple choice integer one and with proper callbacks. The GUI will
> then display it automatically for you if you add it to the menus list
> (wxwindows/menus.cpp). For instance look at how the "zoom" one is done in
> src/video_output/vout_intf.c and modules/gui/wxwindows/menus.cpp.

Thanks for the tip.  It is certainly a nice feature to have predefined
channels on the menu.  The channel scanning dialog in my mind is quite
complex, so it now seems necessary to write my own version.

[...snip...]

> if you don't enable ACCESS_CAN_CONTROL_PACE, VLC will try to read the data
> as fast as it can (as fast as it receives it), which obviously won't work
> very well for file access since it means as fast as the hard drive can read
> the whole file. This is however very appropriate for real time sources
> where the playing pace needs to be synchronised on the server's sending
> rate.

The explanation really helps.  I see VLC tries to read big chunks of data if
ACCESS_CAN_CONTROL_PACE is disabled.  It probably causes buffer
overflow at the decoder end?  Not sure about that, but the reading
pace explanation is very helpful.  Thank you. :-)

brian
--
brian
iMaGiNaTiOn iS mOrE iMpOrTaNt tHaN kNoWlEdGe