[vlc-devel] Re: Small patch to enable IPv6 SSM with vlc

Hoerdt Mickael hoerdt at clarinet.u-strasbg.fr
Sat Jul 2 14:20:46 CEST 2005

Hi,

The API used is the one defined in RFC3678, it's an informational RFC named
"Socket Interface Extension for Multicast Source Filters" and extends
the IGMP/MLD
API to be able to use MLDv2/IGMPv3 specififities. Currently, only linux
implement
this completely in the kernel, and is considered as stable starting from
2.6.10+
kernels.

Concerning the portability, the API has now been included in the recent
versions of
glibc since version 2.3.4, that's why I manually defined the structure
group_source_req,
which is defined in RFC 3678. This glibc is only included in the most
recent version of linux disbrib. Windows only implements a little subset
of this API and only for IPv4.

Also, what would be nice, but not included in the IPv4 SSM supports from
SSM is
DNS to be able to launch vlc with url like udp://blah.blah.fr@232.1.2.3

Cheers,

Hoerdt Mickaël