[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r11643 (courmisch)

Sigmund Augdal Sigmund.Augdal at idi.ntnu.no
Tue Jul 5 20:27:05 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 06:10:45PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le Lundi 4 Juillet 2005 20:41, Benjamin Pracht a écrit :
> > > Undo braindead [11640]
> >
> > Well, at least 11640 compiled, this doesn't...
>
> Yeah, sure it compiled... it even linked for that matter.
>
> I think the point is to have something that works, not something that
> compiles. For that matter, I'd rather have something semantically
> correct with a typo, than something syntaxically correct but
> semantically idiotic (because it is much harder to fix run-time bugs
> than compilation issues).
This is all true and well, but vlc has many uses. While this approach suits
you by helping you finding the bugs, it completly blocks others from using
and/or developing vlc as long as the compile fault is there. If any single
line, or small block of code is nearly working while still not compiling it
should (imo) be disabled before being commited to svn.

Sigmund