[vlc-devel] Re: Excellent News on Software Patents

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Jul 6 17:57:54 CEST 2005

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:24:51 +0100
TwoTailedFox <twotailedfox at gmail.com> wrote:

> "THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT has rejected the introduction of the software
> patent directive by a 648-18 vote."
>
> That's a 630 Majority. One Heck of a good result for software freedom!

It's not bad, but that doesn't make it good. Please note
that because there is now no directive at all that the current
practice will be continued. This means that although most countries
do not legaly accept patents on software, that they are still
granted and can be enforced. Of course it would be possible
to invalidate them in curt, but who does have the money for
such a battle ? Especialy if this battle has to be fought
in every country over and over again ?
Especialy the people around videolan should know what
that means, the whole libdca case isn't that old.

Yes, it's true, we didn't lose the war, we don't have
software patents yet, but we haven't won it yet.
We did not even win the battle. It's nothing
more than a stalemate.

We have to continue our fight until the whole threat is forever gone.

--
郷に入れば郷に従え