[vlc-devel] Probing for media

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Sat Jul 16 05:58:51 CEST 2005

A while back I mentioned adding a "Probe" button in the Open Disc menu
to give a more precise range of values and selections allowed. For
example, why have someone fill out information about a DVD or VCD when
there isn't one available? Or why allow entering an audio CD track
beyond what's actually on the CD?

Here's what I've just added. When a "probe" button is pressed, First
we try the device name that may have been entered for the selected
"disc type" (DVD, DVD Menu, VCD, CDDA). If that doesn't find media, we
try any device for the disc type.  If that doesn't work, then try
looking for CD-ROMs or DVD drives and set the disc type and device
name to whatever we find.

If we find media for a disc type, for VCD and CD-DA we narrow the
largest "Track" allowed. Actually, I need to make a change for the
navigation VCD since that allows entries which could be much larger
than the largest track number.

I considered putting the "probe" button to the right of the Disc Type,
but I don't know how to do.

Also, I should note that much more could be done in terms of listing
all of the possible CD-ROM/DVD drives available or showing information
about the media such as in the Stream and Media Information window.

For the probe button to appear, libcdio has to be available.