[vlc-devel] Win32 compilation does not work (for me)

Frédéric Ruget frederic.ruget at free.fr
Sun Jul 17 18:51:35 CEST 2005

Hi!

I'm trying to compile vlc under cygwin.
  - latest trunk source (using subversion)
  - native compilation using cygwin without POSIX emulation layer
  - contrib-20050624-win32-bin-gcc3.3.1-only.tar.bz2
  - brand new cygwin installation

I have seen in the vlc mailing list (Gildas Bazin's July 12th email)
that the current contrib libraries are not compatible with gcc 3.4.4 as
provided by cygwin, so I have downgraded to :
  - gcc-core : 3.3.3.3
  - gcc-g++ : 3.3.3.3
  - gcc-mingw-core : 2004-08-10-1
  - gcc-mingw-g++ : 2004-08-10-1
  - mingw-runtime : 3.6-1
  - w32api : 3.1-1

Compilation succeeds, however vlc.exe won't run :-(
$ ls -l vlc.exe
-rwxr-xr-x  1 frede Aucun 16844277 Jul 17 17:51 vlc.exe
$ ./vlc.exe
bash: ./vlc.exe: Permission denied

Or under gdb :
$ gdb vlc.exe
GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/frede/vlc/vlc.exe
Error creating process /home/frede/vlc/vlc.exe, (error 5)

Don't know whether it's useful, but I have run cygcheck :
$ cygcheck vlc.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\home\frede\vlc\vlc.exe
C:/cygwin/home/frede/vlc/vlc.exe
  C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcrt.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll
  C:\WINDOWS\System32\ADVAPI32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\RPCRT4.dll
  C:\WINDOWS\System32\USER32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\GDI32.dll
  C:\WINDOWS\System32\WINMM.DLL
  C:\WINDOWS\System32\WS2_32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\WS2HELP.dll

Any ideas ?

Best regards,

Frédéric

P.S. : By the way, the reason I want to compile vlc is that I would like
to fix the portaudio output module which is apparently broken since 0.8.2