[vlc-devel] RFC: New forums setup

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Thu Jul 21 23:54:18 CEST 2005

The current forums on forum.videolan.org are starting to become a bit
of a disorganized mess. The forums are very successful, but that is
starting to become a problem in itself. For one I think we need a bit
more subdivision in the forums.

We currently have:
General Discussion
- VideoLAN: General discussion about VideoLAN

Technical Discussion
- VLC media player: Technical discussion about VLC media player
- VideoLAN Server: Technical discussion about VideoLAN Server
- Streaming: Technical discussion about streaming features in VideoLAN
applications
- Requests: Feature requests for all VideoLAN products

Other
- Coffee: Just have a drink and chat
- Private: Private forum
- Deleted: Forum for deleted topics. Move them here

I suggest a new layout along the line of:
VLC media player
- VLC Windows: windows specific usage questions
- VLC Mac OS X: mac specific usage questions
- VLC Linux and friends: *nix specific usage questions
- General VLC discussion: anything not fitting in the above forums can
go here
- FAQ entries
- Feature Requests
- Bug reports
- Skins (i'm in doubt about this one, but i think it might help spur
skin development).

Serving streams
- Broadcasting
- Video On Demand
- Encoding/Transcoding
- VLS/miniSAPserver

Other
- Forum/Website discussion
- Coffee Corner
- Private: moderator forum
- Deleted: deleted posts forum

I would also like to create a few more rules.

1: when a bug has been confirmed the topic name needs to get [CONFIRMED
#] word added to it, where # is the trac ticket number. This should
also be posted as a link in the forum post.
2: when a usage issue or bug has been solved it needs the [SOLVED] word
added to the topic name.
3: moderators need to actively move topics if they are in the wrong
place and inform the users.
4: all rules for a specific forum need to be in one permanent sticky
and not in multiple

That basically leaves one problem... We need a lot more moderators for
the forum. FK, zorglub, courmish, dionoea and me are the most regular
moderators, but it really is not enough. I think we need more
non-developers to moderate the forum. Moderating != answering all the
questions. If we can find a few enthusiastic users that would be
willing to help us regulate the forum, then that would help a lot.

I would like some feedback from the mailinglist, before posting this
RFC online on the forum. What do the mailinglist subscribers think
about the setup of the forums and how they should be regulated and
maintained?

DJH
---
Universiteit Twente