[vlc-devel] 3 developer questions: media info, keyboard/mouse input, navigation entries

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Sat Jul 23 18:07:04 CEST 2005

Any ideas as to how to get "Media Information" appear in "Stream and
Media Info" when there is no stream initialized?

For bookmarks there is
    (input_thread_t *)vlc_object_find( p_intf, VLC_OBJECT_INPUT, FIND_ANYWHERE );

to find a stream so that the bookmarks can squirrel that information
away.

First, it strikes me as a little bit unclean to look for input objects
anywhere. In my case, I really don't want the input object, but a
handle to that "Stream and Media" page.

But second, in the tests I tried in fact there were no streams at
all. Not surprising since I was "probing" for media.

One thought I had was to create a dummy null stream. But now this
might cause problems in those other places. For example if that
bookmark place found the dummy null stream, it wouldn't have anything
to bookmark and worse it would keep it from bookmarking another stream
should it exist.

(This brings up a related point: is there a way to find *all* input
objects? The above just finds a single *any* one. If so probably the
bookmark code and other place shuld be changed to work on all rather
than any.)

Another downside of the dummy stream idea, is that somehow I'd need to
arrange for it to get destroyed.

 - - -

I'd like to get mouse and keyboard input in the VCD plugin. Looking at
code in modules/access/dvdnav.c and I think in a past queries I
believe I was told that one has to add code for a custom demuxer.  In
the past made forays into doing that; it's a bit complex and I was not
successful. (Nor have I been successful in getting someone to
volunteer to do so.)

When I look at the code in modules/control/gestures.c, that's a lot
simpler.

So wouldn't it be possible to add a keyboard control module for VCD
input and just somehow trigger events like front-ends do? If events
like "Digit *n* entered" or "Mouse click at position *x,y*" were added,
at least for the VCD side, the control module could be generic. And
probably it would be helpful on any access module that wants to field
these events but doesn't want to write a demuxer which probably shares
a bit of common code with other custom demuxers.

 - - -

In the VCD plugin I set up "Navigation" menus to select "LIDs" and
"Segments." However, I find that the VCD plugin gets called back via
SET_TITLE with the positon of the parent "Segment" or "LID". I'm at a
loss as to how I can get the submenu value.

Thanks.