[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r11824 (ipkiss)

Olivier Teulière ipkiss at via.ecp.fr
Sat Jul 23 21:48:26 CEST 2005

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005, Subversion daemon wrote:
>  * skins2: use AOUT_VOLUME_MAX / 2 instead of AOUT_VOLUME_MAX, for the
>  maximum volume.

This change was done to be homogeneous with the other interfaces, but i
think it's not logical to allow values only up to AOUT_VOLUME_MAX / 2,
while in the preferences we can set the volume to AOUT_VOLUME_MAX.

I was given the following rationale:
from 0 to AOUT_VOLUME_MAX / 2 the volume of the input stream is lowered,
and from AOUT_VOLUME_MAX / 2 + 1 to AOUT_VOLUME_MAX, the volume of the
input stream is amplified, potentially causing distortions. To avoid
these distortions, interfaces prevent amplifying the volume. But the
user can still set it in the preferences if she wants a higher volume.

Personally, i find it confusing for users, for several reasons:
 - there is no warning about the possible distortions
 - there is no warning about the different range of volume values
 - there is no explanation about the rationale

And even if all the above was present in the preferences, i would
probably prefer to have a coherent behaviour. It is ridiculous to be
"ashamed" of our amplification in the interface, but not in the
preferences.

Last point: if we really want the current behaviour, why not defining
another constant? Something like:
#define AOUT_VOLUME_MAX_INTF (AOUT_VOLUME_MAX_INTF / 2)

Any thoughts?
--
Ipkiss