[vlc-devel] General Media Acsess via VLC

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 03:28:48 CEST 2005

I'm in the process of making a Video NLE. VLC would be great for my
uses, however I need a way to retreive individual frames from files.
Somthing will a really simple interface.

I'm willing to code this, and not wanting to have to fork a project.
Is it possible that if I were to write this code that it could be
integrated into the main source tree? Here is are some prototypes of
what I'm looking for.

int GetFrame(char *pszName, long frame, int *width, int *height,
unsigned char *pixels)

This function would open the given file, and retreive the requested
frame, the width and height would be stored in the supplied ints, and
the data returned in RGBA format in the *pixels pointer. If the file
has already been loaded, GetFrame will not open it again, but will
used the cached (already opened) file. If the requested frame is the
next frame, or is the same as the last requested frame, no seeking
will be done.

int CloseAllFiles()

Closes all cached files.

Maybe there is a simple way of going about this. Any ideas would be
great. I'm would be extending libvlc to do this...

Thanks,

Timothy