[vlc-devel] Re: authentication (login/password) on multicast

Rémi Denis-Courmont courmisch at via.ecp.fr
Mon Jul 25 18:01:00 CEST 2005

	Hello,

Le Lundi 25 Juillet 2005 12:24, tanveer a écrit :
> I'll have a user database, and VLC
> player will ask, something like RADIUS, for
> authentication.  Again, we like to stream the video
> on a Multicast IP to reduce the load.  I mean, we
> are planning to stream TV channels.  And at
> momenets, we like to stream the recorded login
> ID/IP from the server end so that it can be viewed
> at User end.

I can hardly imagine how you could have RADIUS and Multicast interact.
Or then, you'd have to use RADIUS directly on your multicast routers
(in which VLC won't be involved in access control).

AFAIK, the only way to authenticate access to multicast streams is to
encrypt the stream and provide the decryption key to authorized users
via unicast. Of course, then, you must be prepared to the possibility
that one authorized user "leak" the key to non-authorized users.

But maybe I didn't understand what you mean.

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/