[vlc-devel] Re: authentication (login/password) on multicast

Assaf Cohen assafc at eng.tau.ac.il
Tue Jul 26 10:40:26 CEST 2005

Hi tanveer,
You might try authenticating users with a RADIUS server using 802.1X at the
network access level,
this solution might work if you control the entire network down to the last
switch.
This won't require any changes to VLC or any other software at the
application level.
Authentication is done by a software called supplicant that runs on the
user's machine, and might already be built into the OS (in Windows XP case)
or provided based on open source (see www.open1x.org)
After authentication the user might either gain full access to the network,
or put on a specific VLAN, or even get a specific access list attached to
the authenticated port at the switch - the idea is to use this to control
either the flow of multicast traffic to the client or the handling of IGMP
join requests from the client.

currently trying to implement this solution myself,
haven't seen it working yet.

Assaf