[vlc-devel] Re: Encapsulation of dvd subs in TS

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Sat Jun 4 12:17:57 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 06:04:00PM +0200, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Hi,
> yesterday I noticed that recent versions of vlc assign to dvd subs a
> substream id=0x1n,
> while previously they used 0x2n (the same as dvd).
> Is it a bug or intentional?
>
> Second thing: previously the stream_type in the PMT was 0x9n, while now
> it seems to be always 0x82.
>
> Is it going to change again?
I am no expert on this, but it is my impression that dvd subtitles should
not be embedded in mpeg2 ts. VLC used to do this, because it had no better
alternative. Nowadays however vlc can transcode dvd subtitles into dvb
subtitles, that can safely be embedded in mpeg2 ts.

This can be done with transcode{scodec=dvbs} I think, and I suggest you
rather use this.

Sigmund

> Thanks,
>
>    Nico