[vlc-devel] Re: Big changes... maybe?

Iván Sánchez Ortega i.sanchez at mirame.net
Mon Jun 27 15:59:11 CEST 2005

El Lunes, 27 de Junio de 2005 14:51, list at scttransport.dk escribió:
> Just thought I would let everyone read it and make their own conclusions.

I've already read it on slashdot, boingboing, dirson, and several other
sources.

As for my opinion, I'm afraid that something like konqueror-apple-webcore
might happen: let's think Google builds "Google Media Player", built upon
"libgmp" (the FLOSS component of "GMP"), based on VLC's codebase. GMP's
development would be closed, and improvements over libgmp would be manually
ported back to VLC. Lots of work, and definitively not a lot of
compatibility.

For references, check the history behind Apple, using Konqueror (KHTML)
codebase to create webcore, and Safari on top of that.

We should *not* let that happen, guys.

(Sorry for being pessimistic here)