[vlc-devel] Action plan for 0.8.3 / 0.8.4

Clément Stenac zorglub at via.ecp.fr
Thu Jun 30 15:29:37 CEST 2005

Hello,

          A few notes about the release plan for 0.8.3 and 0.8.4
                                                                                                      0.8.3

-----

This
corrective
version
is
scheduled
for
mid
of
July.
There
are
two
targets
for
this
version:
trivial
changes
which
have
not
been
included
in
0.8.2
and
critical
bugs
in
0.8.2.
There
are
currently
few
tickets
assigned
this
release,
some
of
which
are
quite
annoying
bugs
we
definitely
want
fixed
ASAP

0.8.4
-----
                                                                                For
this
version,
we
rould
really
want
be
able
shorten
the
release
period.
0.8.2
has
been
quite
failure
in
this
respect
(almost
8
months).
think
it
was
mainly
because
we
did
not
really
have
any
target
and
did
not
concentrate
on
releasing.

If you read trac (http://trac.videolan.org/vlc), you will have noticed
that the feature freeze for 0.8.4 has been set to somewhere at the end of
August. This leaves 2 full months for developmeent of new features, with
an approximate target release date around mid-october. (the perfect plan
would be -test1 on mid september and -test2 at the beginning of october).

So what we need is an approximate plan for this release.
At the end of the week-end (Sunday, July 3rd), I intend to postpone to
0.8.5 all "enhancement" tickets with a priority lower than "high" that are
not assigned. There are currently 44 of them. The list is available at :
                                                                                                     https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/query?action=view&status=new&status=reopened&priority=low&priority=lowest&priority=normal&severity=enhancement&milestone=0.8.4%20%28feature%20freeze%29&order=priority

So, if you intend to work on one of these issues for 0.8.4, please assign
it to yourself ASAP, so we can get a clearer view of what will be done for
0.8.4
                Personnaly, I think the main architecture points we should
have for 0.8.4 are:
  - Clock synchro   #5
  - Feedback system #27
  - Playlist II in skins - this will allow for a large simplification and-
         improvement of the playlist code
            There is also the "advanced options syntax" / "rc and telnet
rewrite" package, I don't know if we should do this for 0.8.4 or
postpone. Fenrir: you have code for this, right ?
think
the
vout
stuff