[vlc-devel] Positioning and transparency/opacity -- terminology

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 5 16:24:25 CET 2005

Just trying to figure out what to call things, how people really want them
to operate.  This is relative to marq/time/logo.
It doesn't really matter to me, just that I would like things to be
consistent, and as a native English speaker I really like an english
shortcut to make sense in its name.

1)
Call things -h-margin and -v-margin.
Document that these are offsets from the nearest horizontal and vertical
margins, that if you want them
relative to the upper left corner you need to have a -position 5 specified.
OR
Call things -x -y
Have them operate relative to a single, absolute, coordinate base, the upper
left corner.  Calling things -x and -y at the shortcut level, then having
them relative to -position, is undesirable from a language standpoint.

2)
Call things -opacity, since the bigger the value the more opaque it gets
Or call things -transparency, realizing that it's operating the opposite of
how you normally name something
Or call things -transparency, but change the internal variable handling, so
that 255 = maximum transparency.
Or call things -alpha.

The changes, to make things consistent one way or the other, are trivial,
but I would like to get this done, out of the way, so that I can then
properly document it.

Just pick something.

Thanks.