[vlc-devel] Re: Relationa between the gui and demux

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Wed Mar 9 11:11:51 CET 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005, Sondes Bills wrote :
> Hi,
> I want to know how did vlc know that it must use livedotcom demux when user clic
> on the rtsp radio button on the gui. Is it right that vlc looks for installed
> demux through the their description part "vlc_add_module();" then it checks if
> it's the appropriate one to the selected radio button (i.e, through rtsp-caching
> or udp-caching... gui case).
> Thank you very much

In fact, there is no direct relation between the gui and access/demuxes.
What the gui does is adding an item to the playlist. Then, this new item
get parsed, and VLC probes all the available access and access-demux
until it finds one that is able to open the stream. VLC knows which
module is an access, and in which order they should get probed from
thair "vlc_add_module();" description indeed.

About the different options (caching, etc...), each of them is related
to a module (through an object inheritance mecanism). The only thing the
gui does is to add these parametters as options to the MRL. They then
get added to the playlist along with the address of the stream, and
parsed on stream opening.

--
BigBen