[vlc-devel] Re: VLC checking for external plugins when built with --disable-plugins

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Tue Mar 15 15:55:29 CET 2005

On Monday 14 March 2005 17:45, Damien Fouilleul wrote:
> when compiling VLC to use built-in modules, i've noticed that it still
> scans for external plugins. is there a way to disable this behaviour
> through configure ?
>
> it seems that a #define called HAVE_DYNAMIC_PLUGINS controls this
> scanning, and is always defined  if dynamic linking  is  possible on the
> target platform. I am proposing to have this #define turned off if
> --disable-plugins is configured.
>
> some background: I've had requests about distributing a
> stand-alone/self-contained version of the activeX plugin, unfortunately
> if VLC is already installed, then there are problems regarding version
> mismatch between libvlc  in the activex plugin and  the version  of VLC
> already installed.

There won't be mismatch problems if your version of VLC (or the activex
plugin) has a different version number/name than the installed plugins.

Even though it could make sense to disable the plugins loading code when
--disable-plugins is specified, it could also be annoying if you want to
build a self-contained but minimal version of VLC and you want this version
to make use of the full version's plugins if they are available.

Anyway, do as you wish, I don't really feel strongly either way.

--
Gildas