[vlc-devel] Re: VLC checking for external plugins when built with --disable-plugins

Damien Fouilleul damien.fouilleul at laposte.net
Wed Mar 16 14:18:28 CET 2005

Gildas Bazin wrote:

>On Monday 14 March 2005 17:45, Damien Fouilleul wrote:
>

>>when compiling VLC to use built-in modules, i've noticed that it still
>>scans for external plugins. is there a way to disable this behaviour
>>through configure ?
>>
>>it seems that a #define called HAVE_DYNAMIC_PLUGINS controls this
>>scanning, and is always defined  if dynamic linking  is  possible on the
>>target platform. I am proposing to have this #define turned off if
>>--disable-plugins is configured.
>>
>>some background: I've had requests about distributing a
>>stand-alone/self-contained version of the activeX plugin, unfortunately
>>if VLC is already installed, then there are problems regarding version
>>mismatch between libvlc  in the activex plugin and  the version  of VLC
>>already installed.
>>

>There won't be mismatch problems if your version of VLC (or the activex
>plugin) has a different version number/name than the installed plugins.

ok, that sound better than I thought, that's a good argument to keep the
code as it is, I suppose if one only install released version of the
plugin/VLC then there shouldn't be a problem

>Even though it could make sense to disable the plugins loading code when
>--disable-plugins is specified, it could also be annoying if you want to
>build a self-contained but minimal version of VLC and you want this version
>to make use of the full version's plugins if they are available.

in my humble opinion, --disable-plugins means don't compile anything
regarding external plugins, maybe we should add a configure flag called
'--without-plugins' to differentiate b/w a build that doesn't contain
the plugin mechanism, and a build that has the mechanism but does not
provide any plugins