[vlc-devel] Re: About "ARM Cross-Compile HOWTO"...

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Thu May 5 11:15:35 CEST 2005

boku wrote:

>Dear Jean-Paul,
>   I've seen the readme for "ARM cross-compile howto" by you.  And I
>had some problems--
>1. If i already got a ARM cross-compile GCC. From the top to which
>step I can just ignore for building the cross-compiler?  Is it
>beginning from "Cross compiling libraries needed by vlc"?

If you already have a cross-compiler then you can ignore the complete
sections about "Building the toolchain".

You can continue at either the section:
- "Setting up Opie cross-compile environment" or
- "Cross compiling libraries needed by vlc""

The look into one of the ipkg/rules.* scripts for hints on how to
cross-compile VLC for your target. Of course you must have all the 3rd
party libraries you want to use already cross-compiled. The libraries
and VLC source code can be found on the VLC download site. From the
binary download area http://www.videolan.org/vlc select the "source
code" link and then select "browse the list" for finding a previous VLC
version. Otherwise download every library in there.

>2. What's the OPIE cross-compile for?  If i don't have the PDA to port
>VLC to, can i skip this setup?

Depends on for which Linux distribution you want to build VLC for. The
examples given here are for building VLC for use in a Opie Familar Linux
distribution or a GPE Familiar Linux distribution.

>3. In "Cross compiling libraries needed by vlc", where can i find
>ipaq-config.site?

ipaq-config.site is a file you write yourself. I don't have one around
at the moment, since I am going on a 10 days holiday right now. So if
you have any further questions in the meantime, then I suggest you
e-mail your questions to "vlc-devel at videolan.org". Make sure to
subscribe to the list or you might not get any responses.

Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman