[vlc-devel] Re: vlc and solaris 10.0

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Thu May 12 20:29:59 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:28:48AM -0500, johnny Laura wrote:
> hi to everybody; well I'm new on solaris 10.0... I have instaled VLC
> from source code in LINUX(mandrake 10.0) it was complicated but I did
> it; and all is ok....but now I'm trying to compile VLC from source
> code in solaris 10.0 and I have erros, like this.....
Hi. VLC is supposed to compile on solaris 10, but this has not been
extensivly tested, so any feedback on this is welcome.

> 1. compiling libcddb
>         # ./configure ...(ok)
>         #make
> make  all-recursive
> Making all in include
> Making all in cddb
> Making all in lib
> Making all in examples
> /bin/bash ../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -Wall -Wchar-subscripts
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wunused -Wpointer-arith
> -Wwrite-strings -Wnested-externs -Wno-sign-compare    -o cddb_query
> main.o do_query.o  do_read.o do_display.o cd_access.o
> ../lib/libcddb.la  -lnsl -lsocket
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wchar-subscripts -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wmissing-declarations -Wunused -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings
> -Wnested-externs -Wno-sign-compare -o .libs/cddb_query main.o
> do_query.o do_read.o do_display.o cd_access.o  ../lib/.libs/libcddb.so
> -lnsl -lsocket -R/usr/local/lib
> Símbolo                 primera referencia
>  no definido                        en el archivo
> libiconv_close                      ../lib/.libs/libcddb.so
> libiconv_open                       ../lib/.libs/libcddb.so
> libiconv                            ../lib/.libs/libcddb.so
It looks like there is a problem with libiconv. Try to see if libcddb can be
compiled without libiconv. Otherwise report this error to libcddb authors as
it is not inside vlc.

And another note: it would be nice if you could do "export LANG=C" or the
solaris equivalent before creating logs for the mailing list. I have a hard
time understanding the nature of the problem since I can't read the language
of the error messages.

Sigmund

> ld: error fatal: Errores de referencia de símbolo. No se escribió
> salida en .libs/cddb_query
> collect2: ld devolvió el estado de salida 1
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `cddb_query'
> Current working directory /export/home/jlaura/soft_vlc/libcddb-0.9.6/examples
> *** Error code 1
> The following command caused the error:
> set fnord $MAKEFLAGS; amf=$2; \
> dot_seen=no; \
> target=`echo all-recursive | sed s/-recursive//`; \
> list='include lib examples tests'; for subdir in $list; do \
>   echo "Making $target in $subdir"; \
>   if test "$subdir" = "."; then \
>     dot_seen=yes; \
>     local_target="$target-am"; \
>   else \
>     local_target="$target"; \
>   fi; \
>   (cd $subdir && make  $local_target) \
>    || case "$amf" in *=*) exit 1;; *k*) fail=yes;; *) exit 1;; esac; \
> done; \
> if test "$dot_seen" = "no"; then \
>   make  "$target-am" || exit 1; \
> fi; test -z "$fail"
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
> Current working directory /export/home/jlaura/soft_vlc/libcddb-0.9.6
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
> #

Sigmund Augdal
Edgar B. Schieldropsv 29-14
N-7033 Trondheim