[vlc-devel] Re : VLC behavior

adrian hornsby adrian_hornsby at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 09:57:35 CET 2005

>> hornsby wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> What would be VLC behavior if in a MPEG2 TS stream,
one full GOP is
>> missing
>> ?? would it be able to resyncro without any
artifacts on the screen ??

> If the first frame is an I-frame, then there won't
be any
artefacts.
> Kind greetings,
> Jean-Paul Saman.

Hi Jean-Paul,
Thanks for your answer. The problem is that a GOP ,in
display order, never start with I frame but usually
with a B frame. So VLC receive first an I frame then
the B frame,  but reorder it, right ? Can vlc lose a
bit of info ??
The thing is that I did the test, and some very little
artifact appears on the screen, few scares.
My attention is to test my splicing tool with VLC. I
use beginning and end of GOP as splicing points. But
of course I had to try with the exact same stream
first. So i only remove one GOP from the stream and
see VLC's behavior.

You can use my tool to see yourself. Of course, VLC is
so good that I tend to think the problem is in my tool
but I checked everything and I couldn't find any
explanation.

My tool is build on live555.com library. You can
download my tool from here.
Just compile it and play the "testRelay" file in
/testProgs/ directory.

testRelay work on command line as follow :
./testRelay <input_multicast_address1> <port1>
<input_multicast_address2> <port2>
<output_multicast_address1> <port1>

(i.e:./testRelay 239.252.40.1 4444 239.252.40.1 4444
239.252.50.1 1234)
to ask splicing, press the key "s", to stop "q"

The splicing tool is in the liveMedia directory :
-MPEG2TransportStreamSplicer.cpp

Thanks so much for helping me.
Best Regards,

I want to release a Real Time splicing tool on GPL, if
you want to help me with little thing, please email
me. I would really like having experts helping me.

adrian

Hornsby Adrian

This is all around .....
http://hornsby.freezee.org