[vlc-devel] Re: VLC for OS X

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sun Nov 13 01:59:15 CET 2005

questions.

On 11-nov-2005, at 18:57, Peter Wilson wrote:
> Dear VideoLan,
> I am making some preliminary attempts to improve the scriptability
> of VLC with XCode.
> I would like to write an interface that would allow better control
> of VLC, e.g.
> 1. Would give more realistic timecodes / totals for the DVD
> 2. Would be able to jump directly to a given timepoint on the the DVD

You need to look at intf.m and controls.m and how the timeslider
within it sets and gets it's time information and position data.
Setting time is similar to setting the position in this case, but
uses a different named variable (time instead of position)

> Please advise how I can access the timecode that VLC 'thinks' it is
> on via Applescript.
> At the moment, I am just using System Events to prod VLC back or
> forwards a given number of seconds / minutes.
> However, the user still has to check that the time arrived at is
> correct.
> How can I send the 'current time' of the VLC player as data to
> Applescript

I welcome the development of new Applescript functionality in VLC.
Unfortunately I have little experience and understanding of
Applescript, nor do i intend to gain this any time soon. Therefore i
welcome anyone offering to do his work. Patches can be submitted to
vlc-devel as always, and upon review will be committed.

SDK support and digital audio are on my todo list for the next few
weeks though :D

DJ